What is an NVQ
An NVQ qualification in tiling is a work based assessment and not a training course, it is an assessment of your skills and not tuition based learning programs, UK Pro Tiling Training run fast track tiling training courses giving you all the skills needed to become a tiler and prepares you well for this assessment.
Some training centres will claim to offer tiling NVQ courses to new students, but this is misleading as to gain an NVQ you can only be assessed on the job and not in a training environment unless you are already an experienced tiler with over 5 years provable history which you can do through the EWPA route (Experienced Workers Practical Assessment).
Should I take an NVQ in tiling?
In the UK domestic market, there are no set qualifications required for becoming a tiler, and our courses will teach you all you need to know about tiling for a living. However, many people choose to take the NVQ after our 13-day Ultimate Tiling Course as it can provide solid proof of your skills. If you plan to look for a tiling job on a building site then taking the NVQ assessment would be required along with a CSCS card, if you are looking at domestic work as a self employed tiler then nothing is required. Just complete our course then set up as a tiler.
Getting the NVQ
If you require a NVQ, there are only two ways of achieving the NVQ in tiling
- OSAT (on site assessment training), this is where an assessor observes you in a place of work in your time and works with you to build your NVQ portfolio up after leaving any course.
- EWPA ( experienced worker practical assessment) , if you have over 5 years of provable history then you will be aloud for your tiling skills to be tested in a training centre by an assessor, you will have a tiling project to complete and you will also have a discussion with the assessor about your knowledge of tiling, if the assessor is happy with your work and knowledge, then you will be awarded the NVQ. (There will be no tuition on this assessment, you will pass or fail.
Many of our former students have gone on to achieve an NVQ after acquiring the tiling skills we teach, and if you undertake our 13-day Ultimate Tiling Course, you’ll have many of these tiling skills needed to complete this qualification. As soon as you’ve completed our course and are working as an employed or self-employed tiler, we can put you in touch with an NVQ assessor in your area anywhere in the UK to start the assessment process if you require one.
There are a few NVQs available in wall and floor tiling, ranging from level 1 to 3, level 2 being the most common tradesman qualifications.
The areas assessed in a tiling NVQ will depend on the level you choose. At level 2, you’ll be assessed on areas such as:
QCF 641 Conform to General Workplace Safety
- This unit is about: Awareness of relevant current statutory requirements and official guidance.
- Personal responsibilities relating to workplace safety, wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and compliance with warning/safety signs.
- Behavior in the workplace.
- Safety and security in the workplace.
QCF 642 Conform to Efficient Work Practices
- This unit is about interpreting information; planning, organising and keeping in line with safe and healthy working practices; planning and carrying out productive, efficient working practices; working with others or as an individual.
QCF 643 Move and Handle Resources
- This unit is about how to follow instructions; adopting safe and healthy working practices; selecting materials, components and equipment; handling, moving and storage of materials and components by manual procedures and lifting.
QCF 141 Prepare Backgrounds for Tiling
- This unit is about: interpreting information, adopting safe and healthy working practices , selecting materials, components and equipment , preparing new and/or existing solid and manufactured board backgrounds to receive wall and/or floor tiling.
QCF 142 Tile Wall and Floor Surfaces
- This unit is about fixing tile to walls and floors and applying correct methods of fixing
You’ll already have learned all the practical skills required in tiling on our courses, and may have transferable skills from other jobs that’ll help you complete the assessment.
How much does an NVQ cost?
Our fast track tiling courses are designed specifically so you can go straight out and work as a self employed tiler once you have completed our course in the domestic market with our course tiling certificates.
If you require an official NVQ L2 Tiling qualification after completing any of our courses to go onto a building site and commercial work, we can offer this for only an additional £300 to any of our course fees instead of the usual £900 assessment fees, this qualification will allow you to trade and work on all building sites. Certain criteria applies.
Please ask Tracey for details for full criteria
Will I have to go to classes to get an NVQ?
If you look for an NVQ that’s OSAT (On Site Assessment and Training), then no, you won’t have to attend college or go to classes. Assessors will visit you in the workplace and assess your skills, so you don’t need to book time off.
Do I need any previous qualifications?
You don’t any need specific qualifications such as GCSEs, City and Guilds to get an NVQ, all you need to do is prove tiling competence in a place of work. Your assessor will be able to advise which level will suit your specific needs, and most people will start at level 2 which is industry standard.
Can I retake units?
NVQs in tiling are very different to traditional qualifications. Not only are you assessed on the job in the workplace, if you fail a unit then you can be reassessed. If you’re nervous about taking an NVQ, don’t worry, you’ll be fully supported by a trained assessor.
If you want to find out more about our fast track self employed tiling courses, and how they can help you work towards an NVQ, call us today on 0333 335 0604.